Background. The modern Russian legal doctrine describes the notien “electoral right” in a broad and a narrow sense. The content of the electoral right (in a broad guarantees regulate organization and holding of elections, activity of subjects of electoral legal relations at all stages of elections. The electoral right in a narrow sense, as a rule, is interpreted in constitutional law science as a right of citizens to elect and be elected to elective bodies, state and municipal authorities and a right to participate in a referendum.
Materials and methods. The work analyzes articles of the Constitution of the Russian Federation (adopted by the nationwide vote on 12.12.1993, subject to amendments by RF laws on amendments to the Constitution of RF from 30.12.2008 № 6-FKZ, from 30.12.2008 № 7-FKZ, from 05.02.2014 № 2-FKZ, from 21.07.2014 № 11-FKZ), the Federal constitutional law from 28.06.2004 № 5-FKZ (revised on 06.04.2015) “On referendum of the Russian Federation”, the Federal law from 12.06.2002 № 67-FZ (revised on 03.11.2015) “On main guarantees of electoral rights and the right to participate in a referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation” (with amendments and supplements effective from 09.02.2016), the Federal law from 06.10.1999 № 184-FZ (revised on 30.12.2015) “On general organizational pronciples of legislative (representative) and executive bodies of state authority in subjects of the Russian Federation” (with amendments and supplements effective from 01.01.2016), the Federal law from 19.09.1997 № 124-FZ (revised on 10.07.2001, with amendments from 11.06.2002) “On main guarantees of electoral rights and the right to participate in a referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation” (invalid), the Federal law from 06.12.1994 № 56-FZ (revised on 26.11.1996) “On main guarantees of electoral rights of citizens of the Russian Federation” (invalid).
Results. As one can see, electoral rights are the most effective means of citizens to directly participate in state affairs management and solving issues of both state and local levels.
Conclusions. As a result, the notion “electoral rights of citizens” relates to a set of legal categories directly determines by laws.
1. Tumanova L. V. Vestnik Tverskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Pravo [Bulletin of Tver State University. Series: Law]. 2015, no. 2, pp. 115–117.
2. Israelyan V. B. Osobennosti sudebnoy zashchity izbiratel'nykh prav grazhdan v Rossiyskoy Federatsii: dis. kand. yurid. nauk [Features of court protection of rights of citizens in the Russian Federation: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of juridical sciences]. Moscow, 2004, 240 p.
3. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collected laws of RF]. 2002, 17 Jun., no. 24, art. 2253.
4. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collected laws of RF]. 2014, 4 Aug., no. 31, art. 4398.
5. Biktagirov R. T., Kinzkupov B. I. Kurs sovremennogo izbiratel'nogo prava Rossii: teoriya, zakonodatel'stvo, praktika [The course of modern electroral law in Russia: theory, legislation, practice]. Ufa,2007, vol.1, pp.49–50.
6. Volkov V. P., Damaskin O. V. Problemy obespecheniya konstitutsionnoy zakonnosti izbiratel'nogo protsessa v interesakh ukrepleniya rossiyskoy gosudarstvennosti [Problems of ensuring the rule of the constitutional legality of elections in order to consolidate the Russian statehood]. Moscow‚ 2009, 262 p.
7. Postnikov A. Ob ogranichenii dostupa lits, sovershivshikh prestuplenie, k vybornym dolzhnostyam. [On limiting criminals’ access to elective office]. Available at: http://www.democracy.ru/library/articles/rus_1999-4.html (accessed 2015, February 11).
8. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collected laws of RF]. 2004, 5 Jul., no. 27, art. 2710.
9. Soboleva A. K. Aktual'nye problemy rossiyskogo prava [Urgent problems of the Russian law].2013,no.7796p.
10. Duksin P. A. Konstitutsionnye ogranicheniya izbiratel'nykh prav grazhdan Rossiyskoy Federatsii, nakhodyashchikhsya v mestakh lisheniya svobody po prigovoru suda: avtoref. dis. kand. yurid. nauk [Constitutional limitations of electoral rights of citizens of the Russian Federation, confined in penitentiaries by the court decision: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of juridical sciences]. Saratov, 2010, 24 p.
11. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collected laws of RF]. 1997, 22 Sept., no. 38, art. 4339.
12. Rossiyskaya gazeta [The Russian newspaper]. 1994, no. 241 (10 Dec.).
13. Makarwtsev A. A. Aktual'nye problemy rossiyskogo prava [Urgent problems of the Russian law]. 2014, no. 6, pp. 1077–1083.
14. Maslova L. I. Uchenye trudy Rossiyskoy akademii advokatury i notariata [Proceedings of Russian Academy of Legal and Notarial Practice]. 2015, no. 1 (36), pp. 10–13.
15. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Collected laws of RF]. 1999, 18 Oct., no. 42, art. 5005.